Let us not become the monster we fight today. [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Sat Feb 8 10:37:37 PST 2003

Hi Dana,

I really like your statement “Let us not become the monster we fight
today.”

Since I am more of a wrench than I writer, my previous post that sounded
like whining out of concern for me, and was really intended to be a
concern for the 1,000’s of homeowners with new PV systems that will need
service quality in the future.

I am putting my flame shield on right now because: Before the LADWP
solar incentive program began, I wrote a lengthy letter to the LADWP
Chairman explaining why PV needs to become mainstream without artificial
support.  And why PV needs to grow from truly practical applications,
for this technology to emerge as a mainstream viable technology able to
stand on its own merits. I did not get a reply to my letter.

Well, now that PV has been subsidized for a couple of years, I feel a
need to fight, lobby and try my hardest to keep the subsidies in place
for a number of reasons.  It needs to be wrenches familiar and
experience working with PV, removing and re-installing systems on
rooftops as opposed to roofers.  The price of modules has been
decreasing lately and this is good for everyone.  Owners of PV systems
put their money and faith in this technology and they must not be let
down, or the industry will suffer a black eye, such as what happened in
1986.

Now back to the monster we fight today, the utilities.  In California we
are fighting a proposed “exit-fee” for solar energy production.  I want
to try and explain the origins of this “solar tax”.  During the energy
crisis the State of California propped up the utilities and allowed them
to sell electricity at a cost below the rate paid for by the State, with
its new long-term contracts.  This was to alleviate a shortage resulting
in blackouts.  The cost shortfall now has to be repaid through
agreements, which were also made during the energy crisis.  This all
gets pretty complicated, but basically boils down to everyone in the
energy business has to help pay back the State, including all types of
distributed generation, PV, wind, bio-gas and even diesel generators.
We are trying to make an exception for PV for the following reasons.  PV
is clean and does not emit pollutants, is creating many new jobs and the
insignificant funds collected by taxing PV will be insufficient to fund
the new bureaucracy required to administrate this new PV tax scheme.
This will be a tough battle.

Here is the link to the CPUC Settlement Agreement:
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUBLISHED/COMMENT_DECISION/23076.htm

Here is the link to the Proposed Exit Fee from the ALJ:
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/published/comment_decision/23074.htm#TopOfPage

Michael, I am sorry for posting all this political stuff, but it really
is a crucial turning point for PV at this time, it needs to keep
emerging and not submerge again.  Plus I felt a need to defend myself as
being a qualified Wrench.  Here is a link to my favorite testimonial:
http://www.solarexpert.com/Testimonials/Congressman.html

Graham Owen

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com