Lemming's [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Thu Feb 6 10:07:25 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
Matt etal,
It's a conundrum all right. On one hand, testing new products on our
customers sucks. On the other, new products generally have something
to offer by way of increased efficiency, better pricing, whatever. So
there may be definite advantages to them to have the latest and
(hopefully) greatest.
I agree with Tom Lane that we should be testing this stuff on
ourselves first. Of course, that presents it's own problems. For
example, I live offgrid, so testing an Outback FX or MX is fairly
easily done. (I swear to god one of these days I'm going to install
wing nuts on all my wiring) At the same time, I'd be less than
worthless testing a Sunny Boy. So we do what we can and rely on our
fellow Wrenches for what we can't. Who we shouldn't rely on is our
distributors or the manus themselves. Not that they would
deliberately mislead us, but after all, they stand to make a profit
so their opinions and recommendations are at least suspect. When a
new product comes out that I might want to sell and I CAN test, I
generally contact the manu directly and ask for an evaluation unit.
Some will give you one for free, some at a deep discount. It is in
their best interest to do so. If they wont, then my ears go up and my
interest in their goodies goes down.
Best, bob-O

>Hi Graham,
>
>You're O-so-right about being cautious in utilizing "cutting-edge"
>technology. The problem is, and always has been, that without being willing
>to stick your neck out, progress would never happen at all. I see this
>situation as being a metaphor for the solar and wind energy as a whole, and
>actually technology in general.
>I have noticed that the majority of wrenches who have come from the ranks of
>conventional electrical contracting tend to be the most conservative in
>their willingness to be the guy on point.
>
>There has been plenty of discussion on this list about the trend toward
>standardization, accepted electrical methodology, safety issues and
>less-than-prime-time equipment but, the fact remains; without risk and the
>pioneering spirit technology grinds to a halt. In the late 70's and early
>80's everything we installed was experimental in the extreme, except for
>flooded batteries. Personally, I prefer that time because of the freedom and
>latitude to innovate that was the "zeitgeist" of the period, over the
>current normalization and standardization paradigm. Sure, things are way
>more predictable and reliable now, but how do you think they got that way?
>
>The big hope in this business has always been to be able to make a good
>living at it while still having fun.
>Are we having fun yet?
>
>New and improved, fully attached flame shields up!
>
>Cheers,

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm