Lemming's [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Feb 6 09:28:00 PST 2003

Hi Graham,

You're O-so-right about being cautious in utilizing "cutting-edge"
technology. The problem is, and always has been, that without being willing
to stick your neck out, progress would never happen at all. I see this
situation as being a metaphor for the solar and wind energy as a whole, and
actually technology in general.
I have noticed that the majority of wrenches who have come from the ranks of
conventional electrical contracting tend to be the most conservative in
their willingness to be the guy on point.

There has been plenty of discussion on this list about the trend toward
standardization, accepted electrical methodology, safety issues and
less-than-prime-time equipment but, the fact remains; without risk and the
pioneering spirit technology grinds to a halt. In the late 70's and early
80's everything we installed was experimental in the extreme, except for
flooded batteries. Personally, I prefer that time because of the freedom and
latitude to innovate that was the "zeitgeist" of the period, over the
current normalization and standardization paradigm. Sure, things are way
more predictable and reliable now, but how do you think they got that way?

The big hope in this business has always been to be able to make a good
living at it while still having fun.
Are we having fun yet?

New and improved, fully attached flame shields up!

Cheers,

Matt T