MC connectors, warranties and PV system life [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Sat Feb 1 11:17:01 PST 2003

>keith wrote:
>
>>  When I review the MC connection concept, I realize it is a good
>> thing.

Keith:

I've used the MC connectors and I'm afraid I can't agree.  I have no
confidence in using unprotected wires on any assembly, especially one
outdoors.  Fastening tray cable to metal structures with wire ties creates
an abrasion point, rodents chew wire, leaves can catch on them and hold
moisture and the installations look poor.  I'm sure your familiar with the
propensity of high voltage DC installations to arcing?

I've viewed those installations done by other contractors and by my crews
and you can see the unprotected cables sagging from the backs of the
modules, regardless of how well they are tied.  This goes against my
instincts and my training.  I fear frequent failures in the not too distant
future.  Combine this with top down infrastructure and repairs will be
difficult.  I see electricians reaching under modules with dikes attempting
to cut loose ties to find the bad connection.  How well can they tie these
cables back up with the modules laying down flat?  Cheap, fast, yes, but
not, in my book, better.

William

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP10
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 10
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com