Reroofing and installation time. [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Fri Jan 31 22:18:13 PST 2003

Kids:

The issue of reroofing has come up for discussion among our crew.  With a
tilt up rack, I believe a roof can be replaced without removing the
modules, especially comp roof:

1. The racks are tilted up and bolted to the factory provided aluminum legs.

2. The mastic is carefully removed as much as possible from around the feet
using a heat gun and putty knife.

3. The lags are loosened and a flat bar used to pry the feet free of the
roofing, one at a time.

4. The lags are removed and the roofing removed from under each foot (for a
tear off).  The lags is temporarily replaced with care not to over torque.

4. The legs are lifted one at a time for the new shingles to be slipped
underneath.  The weight of each leg is not too much for one person to lift
and hold up for 2 to 3 minutes.  It takes only a few seconds to slip a
shingle in place and it can be nailed with the foot resting on it.

5. New mastic is applied and a new lag is installed.

This does require one of our crew to attend the reroofing of the section
immediately under the racks.  This is far cheaper than the cost of three of
us for two days, removing and replacing.  Granted, we have yet to try this.
 If we ever do, we'll report on how it goes!  If this works, it would seem
to be extremely advantageous over a top down rack.

How about installation time?  With a crew of three using tilt up racks
(Direct Power Two Tier usually) we can easy install 24 (even up to 30
recently) large frame modules in two days.  This is from driving up to the
job through installing the racks, running conduit to the inverter location,
mounting modules, wiring, pulling feeders, testing and laying down the
racks.  This results in a conduited installation without the nagging
question of MC failure.  How does this compare with other crews?

William

At 08:55 PM 1/31/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Hey Mo,
>
>Congrat's on the Scripp's job, really cool.  I think the heat-shrink is
>a great idea for the island.  My concern with its application on
>rooftops is how do you remove it when it comes time for removal and
>re-installation of modules for re-roofing, without the possibility of
>cutting into the wire insulation?
>
>Graham
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP10
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 10
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com