Top Down logistics [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 31 19:50:50 PST 2003

Mo,

You may want to consider heat shrink wrapping the MC connections out on
the island. There are two issues; one is sea gulls, and possibly other
birds, that like to pull at the wiring, and corrosion. After the gulls
have pulled the connection apart the corrosion takes over. Even if the
wiring is well fastened, the gulls are pretty crafty and amazingly
persistant. The USE-2 XLP wire seems to stand up pretty well. If you are
making your own MC connections make sure there is adequate wire
insulation in contact with the MC boot so there won't be corrosion
getting through at that point. In other words, don't strip the wire
farther back than necessary to crimp it well.

Have fun in the sun!

Brad B.

Mo Rousso wrote:

> The MC connectors have proved to be pretty solid.  We have had a number
> of
> high wind events over the past couple of years and I have yet to lose a
> connection.  It is important, though, not to let the conductor lay on
> the
> roof due to abrading the insulation against the comp or tile.
>
> The ultimate test for me, though, will come next week.  I will be
> installing
> a 20 panel array using MCs for Scripps Oceanographic on a cliff top.
> This
> cliff is on a small island off of the coast of Mexico and is constantly
> swept with wind and ocean spray.  I¹ll keep you posted on how the MCs
> hold
> up.
>
> Mo

Brad Bassett