In praise of SMA - again [RE-wrenches]

ASAP POWER! asap at podnine.com
Wed Jan 22 11:25:18 PST 2003

Also, a third display panel has been behaving properly on a dual SB2500
system recently reported on here.  The third display panel was sent with a
backup inverter, which we were fully expecting to have to change out, but
the third panel has managed to charm the inverter's info out of it so far.
So I'll be shipping the second unit back soon from all indications.

As a fine-tuning customer service side: I was sort of worked into a spot
trying to explain to the customer that this was not a new inverter but a
non-display unit that we would use his original display inverter cover with
and that it's guaranteed to have less than 100 hours on it.  Of course, with
full warranty but I think most customers are going to expect a duplicate new
replacement, or at least a new unit.  Refurbished is what it came off as out
of my mouth I guess, and that just did not sound like what they bought.  So,
glad we didn't have to change it anyway...since he was developing that
short-changed feeling.

Customer service is such a simple thing.  It's all in that first response
and if need be, a second.  SMA is good at not second-guessing what's going
on in an effort to thwart your livelihood, rather, they'll listen to you
before getting busy formulating what is often otherwise a canned, CYA type
of response.  The response is always what's best for you and your customer.
As electronics go, often a replacement is the best answer.  Being quick
about it earns too many bonus points to bother counting.  In this they value
your time and your work and your actual success with their product as much
as they value their equipment itself.  That is a good balance and a good
approach to any service business.  In turn, we should all value our
customers' successful experience with their systems as well.  Matt T's last
words were right on.  That support, whether hand-holding or a real
fix-it-now situation, is very valuable, it's golden.  Thanks to Jason at SMA
as well.

Peter D
ASAP POWER!/1AU-PV