Edison Fees [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Sat Jan 4 10:40:46 PST 2003

When I took on PP&L, Tom acted as a consultant on the process... mostly telling
me who to contact at the PUC to expedite the process. The law is clear, one
needs to only bring it to the PUC's attention through filing an informal
complaint. If they will not remove the fees then, the complaint goes to formal
status and they will litigate it on your behalf.

See: http://www.irecusa.org/articles/static/1/1000711224_987096476.html for
details, specifically:

(3) CALIFORNIA
Net Metering Customer Prevails in Complaint Against PacifiCorp Todd Cory of
Mount Shasta in Northern California reported that his complaint against his
utility, Pacific Power & Light Company (a PacifiCorp subsidiary) was favorably
resolved. When Mr. Cory sought to interconnect a small residential PV system
under California's net metering law, PP&L sought to impose a $500 charge to
replace Mr. Cory's existing meter with a different meter that was capable of
separately  tracking electricity flows to and from Mr. Cory's property. Mr. Cory
read the California net metering law as
prohibiting the utility from imposing any additional metering charge if his
existing meter was capable of net metering, so he took the initiative to contact
the manufacturer of his electric meter. The meter manufacturer responded by
providing recent test data for the class of meter that Mr. Cory had on his home,
noting that "the difference between forward and reverse registration is
statistically insignificant," and concluding that the existing meter "is
designed to accurately measure energy in either direction." Mr. Cory first
sought an informal resolution of the dispute from PacifiCorp, PP&L's parent
company, but when he found the utility's response unsatisfactory he filed a
formal complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission. In late
August, PacifiCorp filed an Answer and Affirmative Defense acknowledging certain
mistakes in its interpretation of the net metering law, and confirming the steps
it was taking to  correct its policies.

You can get paid for your time in doing this as if your work benefits others
than just yourself the PUC will mandate fees be paid to you for your efforts.
PacifiCorp paid me $3500.00 to kick their butt!

Contact me off list for other details if you are interested in taking this one
on. It is a done deal that you will win, and fun in a perverted sense of things
if you like fighting big stupid corporations and winning.

Todd

Joel Davidson wrote:

> Tom Starrs may be too busy running Schott APC to take on AB58 "bs" fees. Tom
> has done the PV industry a great service expanding net metering throughout
> the U.S. and fighting obstructionist utilities. Is there anyone organizing
> against abusive fees?
>
> Best regards,
> Joel Davidson

- - - -