Solar rip-off scam warning [RE-wrenches]

Steve Willey, Backwoods Solar steve at backwoodssolar.com
Tue Dec 16 08:47:15 PST 2003

Yesterday a woman with slight accent called asking to speak to a specific
employee's name. She wanted to order a DR3624 and SW4024 only. Since that
employee was on the other line, I asked if I could help and took the order.
Being a little suspicious of the manner and items requested, I asked if she
had already spoken with the other employee.  She said no to that. I got more
suspicious about her having an employees name to whom she claimed not to
have spoken before.

We checked the American Express card used (Security phone number for
American Express is 212-640-4767) and got the phone number of the card
holder and called it.  The message machine there, in English, said no one
was home.  We called the buyer back and asked more questions, like for
the phone number of the cardholder. She said it was her "client's card" and
that calling him would be useless unless someone here spoke Spanish because
he spoke no English. Hmmm. answer machine takes English messages but the
owner doesn't.

Of course she wanted the inverters shipped overnight. We cancelled the
order.  Next day American Express confirmed it was a fraudulent order.

The name ordering was Irva Nathanson, 284 Lowell, Lawrence, Massachusetts
01841. American Express card ending 4007.  Note the card authorization DID
go through.  Steve Willey,
Backwoods Solar Electric Systems
steve at backwoodssolar.com

- - - -