Efficient room A/C info request [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Oct 30 17:10:52 PST 2003

Fellow Wrenches:
We have been asked to provide a UPS system for a local medical billing
service company that needs uninterruptible AC power for servers, etc. The
server room measured out with a Brand meter as a constant 1.03 kw-hr/hour
load. There is a window-mount air conditioner that cycles on and off to draw
heat off of this otherwise windowless room. The A/C uses a 20A 250VAC
circuit. Some cooling must be part of the UPS load.

We are looking at more efficient ways to replace this A/C. We have 1.03 kwh
of constant heat being produced, plus summer ambient temps into the 90s. It
has to be foolproof without needing attention; run off grid power when it's
available, and battery/inverters when not. We haven't determined the design
period of autonomy yet, but it shouldn't be necessary for this question.

 I know nothing about air conditioners. Are there any high-efficiency 120VAC
window-mount units that can maintain normal (75F) temperatures with this
load? This is not a "solve my needs at any cost" job, either: solutions must
be relatively simple and at reasonable cost, but load reduction is always
cheaper than system capacity.

Looking for advice, please.
Allan

- - - -