Cheaper 2 volt cells [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Sep 29 13:53:58 PDT 2003

> It would be nice if IBE could manufacture a middle-ground battery
> line,similar to Surrette, here in California for the market West of the
> Rockies. I recently discussed this issue with them and got a poitive
> response. Who knows, it might actually happen some day.

I have spent some time with Dyno battery here in Seattle discussing this
very issue - the need for a "bigger than L-16 / smaller than a forlift
battery" option. Dyno supplies mostly industrial, marine and specialty
batteries in the NW and Alaska.

Dyno is now offering a 2 volt cell battery in a L-16 case - just one big
cell instead of three cells.  Still has handles and weighs the same.
Basically, its just a rewired L-16 without the cell seperators.  Think
of it as a "cheaper" easier to move 2 volt cell.

Also - they have been building large industrial batteries for a
locomotive application for many years - and it turns out that the plate
it uses fits in the L-16 case as well.  So you can get these new 2 volt
L-16s in either the standard plate (about 3/16" thick) or in a heavy
duty plate (1/4" thick).  The capacity for the heavy duty version is
something like 800AH @ 2 VDC 8 hours rate versus 1200 AH @ 2 vdc for the
standard L-16 plate version.  This would eliminate the need to parallel
more than 2 strings in most applications.

Dyno has been calling these batteries their "OutBack" models - but we
have no real connection other than I pushed them to look at it and we
sell products to many of the same customers.

I know Tom Carpenter in Hawaii has order one or more of these batteries
- but doubt if the boat has reached him with them yet... How about it
Tom?

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com