OutBack HBX mode [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Sep 11 14:38:44 PDT 2003

Darryl Thayer wrote:
> I like this idea, but I am a little slow, so please
> make sure I understand.
> 1) The Outbacks power a subpanel.
> 2) The batteries power the Outbacks.
> 3) The wind machine powers the batteries.
> 4) The grid also powers the batteries by using the
> Outback charger capability.

The utility grid does not have to be used to recharge the battery with
the OutBack inverters - the charger can be turned off separately from
the inverter and the AC transfer switch (I usually advise not using it).
 When the battery gets low, the inverter will automatically transfer the
AC loads to the utility and then let the PV and/or wind recharge the
battery. Once it is recharged the system then automatically goes
"off-grid".  This is what we call the "HBX" mode - it is similar to the
SW's LBX mode except our charger can be turned off and you have better
control of when it transfer to/from the utility grid (adjustable dc
volts & time delay - verses - just dc volts w/fixed short time delay).

> Do the electrical inspectors have trouble with this?

Not that I have ever seen.  They usually want some kind of marking by
the KWH meter to indicate that a back-up power system has been
installed.

> As long as most of the power is from alternatives it
> seems to be a good idea. If the alternative sources
> are small the battery efficiency will eat up the
> savings.

True - although if the loads being powered where small and the battery
was small, then its not any worse - it all goes in proportion to the
size of the system and loads.

We also allow manual control of the system in addition to the automatic
operation - so if the homeowner is concerned that the system be fully
charged before a storm for instance they can simply hit a couple of
dedicated "HOT" keys on the MATE display and it will connect to the grid
and recharge the batteries.  This manual intervention does not disable
the automatic operation either so the system keeps operating as
originally once the battery is full. The opposite also can be done -
such as forcing the system to drop the grid even though the battery is
not yet fully recharged - and is great for demos to impress the
neighbors.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com