Phasing out Lead-acid Batteries [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Sep 1 12:16:17 PDT 2003

Fellow Wrenches,
Here's something we might want to keep on our long-term radar, as we use,
sell, and recycle a lot of lead-acid batteries. This came some weeks ago on
the e-mail newsletter of the Clean Car Campaign of Environmental Defense.
They have initiated a campaign to phase out lead-acid batteries in cars.

What follows is text of the original message post, followed by a response I
sent to them questioning their campaign, and finally their explanatory
response I received a few days ago.

All said, I'm not taking a position one way or another on this. I see both
sides. I suspect that this is another area where our industry will look very
different in a decade.

Allan at Positive Energy
Santa Fe, NM