crisis intervention commentary [RE-wrenches]

keith kcronin at lava.net
Fri Aug 15 22:17:21 PDT 2003

These last 48 hours have taught us a lot about our current energy grid.
It has become a clogged artery, in desperate need of a stent.  The
demand has outstripped supply.  Our insatiable demand for easily
accessible electricity has reached our uneducated cities.  It seems the
privilege of plugging in and not factoring in any consequences for the
actions, has been brought to our cerebrums.

I had eleven calls today, all in sheer misbelief of the power issues of
this nation.  It seems the head must come out of the sand, and today is
the day that transpired.  I tried subtly to explain the consequences of
failure to be cognizant of our energy consumption.  I think it fell on
deaf ears.

It got to an interesting level of concern, that the local TV station
asked for a 1.5 hour interview to understand and pursue the issues.
Through a constant inquiry, I felt compelled to share what knowledge I
have acquired over time.  Sheer amazement surrounded the interviewer.
Surely he was kidding!  Could he not believe the issues facing the
future.  He recognized it was semi on his radar screen, but not an
impending disaster.

I ponder.are we all creatures of habit...waiting..for something to
happen.and then react.??

The interview came down to the usual.payback for PV,  what can it run,
why.etc..my typical answers where.payback on the SUV, Stripper fishing
boat, jet ski, the $90K Mercedes..what do you really need to run.what do
you really need???

After the crew left.I wondered.where are our priorities..??......will we
always wait till the last possible minute.??..will our government and
the EPRI (electric power research institute) ( on tv today.exclaiming
10% renewables in the country..time to up the percentage) continue to
tell us we need to upgrade our transmission lines..or should we simply
spend those dollars more wisely in distributed generation..make power
where you use it.(pv for example.. at home)...??????

I realize this is a revolutionary concept..and so were the pilgrims that
founded this country...can't we think about our future.in respect to the
communities we live in.??...if we fail to invest in our communities,
where are we as a nation...????............imagine this blackout
happened in the middle of winter..with a terrorist twist...

All inquiries..welcome..!!!!!

Aloha

Keith Cronin

President