utility disconnect for grid-tie [RE-wrenches]

Eric Smiley Eric_Smiley at bcit.ca
Wed Aug 6 15:52:29 PDT 2003

I'm trying to specify a disconnect switch for grid-tie PV that will meet
our utilities requirements at the least cost. This requirement for an
essentially redundant switch has been used by many utilities and I would
appreciate finding out what others are using.

The switch must be outdoor rated, but in addition our utility requires
the switch to:

(a) Be capable of being energized from both sides; and
(b) Plainly indicate whether in the "open" or "closed" position; and
(c) Have contact operation verifiable by direct visible means; and
(d) Have provision for being locked in the "open" position; and
(e) Conform to Sections 14, 28, and 36 of [the Canadian Electrical Code]
if it includes an
overcurrent device; and
(f) Be capable of being opened at rated load; and
(g) Be capable of being closed with safety to the operator with a fault
on
the system; and
(h) Disconnect all ungrounded conductors of the circuit simultaneously;
and
(i) Bear a warning to the effect that inside parts can be energized when
the
disconnecting means is open; and
(j) Be readily accessible.

Regarding item (c) our utility is allowing, "A low-voltage safety
switch, where the cover can be opened when the switch is in the "open"
position thus providing visual verification that the contacts are
open,..."
Which means we don't need a switch with a window in it (phew)- an even
more expensive option.

Eric Smiley

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com