Revived Copper Cricket [RE-wrenches]

Randy Brooks Randy at BrooksSolar.com
Wed Jul 23 17:56:53 PDT 2003

I wanted to thank the wrenches who responded to my request a couple months
ago for information on Copper Cricket solar hot water systems.  Our
customer's system is back on line and working great!  Bob Maynard directed
me to Newt Loken at Solar Assist in Eugene, OR, 541-338-4957, who was
particularly helpful.

Having the installation and troubleshooting manuals, and installation kit,
from my own Copper Cricket system, was really helpful.  Newt supplied two
green VITON stem valves to replace the originals on the system.  I was able
to locate a replacement fuse plug (1/4", 253°F) from Thermal Supply (outlets
throughout the northwest).  I stumbled across an original box from my system
that gave the methanol solution ration (1 gallon of methanol mixed with four
gallons of water), and was able to buy a gallon of methanol at a performance
racing shop, where it's sold for race car fuel.  :)

We flushed and pressure tested the system to be sure it would still hold a
vacuum, then went through the startup procedure in the manual.  It's working
great - heating a 50 gallon pre-heat tank to over 130°F.  (We re-plumbed the
heat exchanger to a pre-heat tank to leave the electric water heater with
two elements to handle the load during gray winter periods.)

I really value the knowledge and experience shared on this list.  I hope the
above information is helpful to anyone else who needs to revive a Copper
Cricket system.

Thanks Wrenches!

Randy Brooks
Brooks Solar, Inc.