Induction motor on Trace DR series [RE-wrenches]

Mr. Sharkey sharkey at eugeneweb.com
Sun Jun 29 22:34:52 PDT 2003

Wrenches;

Greetings from your Profiles Administrator. I'm coming out of lurk-mode to
ask some inverter/motor advice about a project that I'm involved in currently.

The project is a RE-powered, Weights and Measures Certified delivery pump
and meter for the purpose of distributing Biodiesel fuel. Weights and
Measures bureaucracy being what it is, a low voltage/DC pump motor was not
acceptable for certification, so the AC induction motor that the pump
manufacturer commonly supplies with these pumps must be used.

The motor is a ½ HP, 1725 RPM, explosion-proof, sealed unit with an
integral on-off switch. It drives, through fractional-horsepower belt, a
multi-piston delivery pump. Output of the pump is delivered to the
calibrated meter, and then to the fuel filter and delivery hose.

The inverter in question is a Trace DR1512, NOS which was purchased by a
friend as a Y2K backup power system, and never installed. My Biodiesel
clients can purchase this inverter, a 175 amp disconnect, Trace C12 charge
controller, cables, temp probe, etc for a very reasonable price.

Which brings me to the question at hand. Can anyone elaborate about what
type of performance I can expect from the motor with the DR series
inverter, being that it supplies modified square wave power? My own
experiences with running induction motors on mod-square seemed to be that
the motor tends to make a lot of racket, but seems to perform adequately.
Anything else that I should be aware of? The pump motor will normally be
used intermittently, but will also be called upon to deliver larger
quantities of fuel from time to time, resulting in run times in the 30-40
minute range of continuous operation. The pump is not required to provide
any pressure in excess of what is required to meter the fuel and deliver it
to the customers fuel tank.

In short, I guess I'm looking for confirmation that the motor will not
experience overheating, poor performance or damage from the mod-sq wave
power. Anything I should be concerned about on the inverter side?
Obviously, a sine-wave inverter would be desirable, but this inverter and
the associated equipment is available at a very attractive price.

Feel free to contact me off-list if this topic has been talked-to-death, or
is not considered to be the best use of list bandwidth.

-Sharkey

"History has never been kind to people who fail to control their leaders"
-Mark Stanley

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm