Tankless water heater for off-grid solar thermal backup [RE-wrenches]

Ian Woofenden, Home Power ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Mon May 5 10:17:18 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>

Wrenches,

Pardon me for presenting a personal dilemma, but I think this might
be of general interest too.

I'm looking for a tankless water heater that is:
Propane fired
Takes no AC
Has no pilot
Accepts preheated water from solar hot water panels or woodstove loop

So far, I can't find all of these attributes in one unit.

All Takagis handle preheated water, but all take AC for ignition.

Aquastar's HX model has a (neat) hydro turbine to provide ignition,
but does not handle pre-heated water.

Aquastar's SB handles preheated water, but has a pilot.

Infinion makes a model that uses two D-cells for ignition, but it
does not handle preheated water.

I've just had a fascinating conversation with the importer of the
Infinion units who proposed a work-around. He has used a mixing valve
backwards on the input, with an additional T between the flow sensor
and the burner of their units to handle preheated water in hydronic
floor systems. I may try this, and will let you know how it works.

I welcome any new information or ideas.

Ian

--

Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>
Senior Editor, Home Power magazine, The Hands-On Journal Of Home-Made Power

800-707-6585 (US), 541-512-0220, or download current issue at
<http://www.homepower.com>

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm