Those @$&#%*!!! Todd Chargers [RE-wrenches]

Mr. Sharkey sharkey at eugeneweb.com
Fri Feb 14 21:29:28 PST 2003

To All:

I have permanently left the Todd charger repair profession.

Since beginning to repair these units, I have managed to find only a very
few that were an "easy repair". Most needed extensive diagnostics and
rebuilding. Too many of them blew up on the test bench during full load,
and required additional repairs at my expense, often in excess of what they
were sent in for. I've never managed to make any useful amounts of money
repairing them, and in most cases, I ended up working for less than
$2.00/hr. by the time packaging and shipping were figured in. Some are
still here, awaiting my attention while their impatient owners shower me
with bad vibes for not getting them back in order sooner.

In all, I consider the Todds a quirky, hair-trigger design, that is running
on the ragged edge of self-destruction even when it is operating properly.
I won't miss the pressure of having a corner of my shop piled with their
carcasses.

Having said that, I would be glad to share the schematics and tips and
tricks I've learned with anyone who wants to try their hand at home repair,
or has the idea that they'd like to open a bsiness repairing them. Drop me
a line and I'll do my best to talk you out of such a bad idea.

Thanks to Allan for bringing these posts to my attention, as I don't read
this list on a regular basis.

-S

"History has never been kind to people who fail to control their leaders"
-Mark Stanley

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm