Permits[RE-wrenches]

Nick Nicholas, APS APS at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sat Dec 28 23:15:53 PST 2002

Hi Bill and all:
    I am glad that the CEC choose to offer a lower rebate to home-owner
installs because:
    - Owner installs have lower installation costs (especially when
shortcuts are taken.)
    - No one is responsible for system output in the "owner-installed"
systems.
    - Owner installers generally take on the burden of filing CEC, county
permit, and PG&E forms, saving time and money.  The owner installer will
often meet the county inspector and the PG&E inspector, saving time and
money.  I have found that if we do not take responsibility for walking the
PG&E inspectors through the "Authorization to Net Meter," they will often
lock off the system and leave.  One PG&E employee said the SB-2500-SBD
inverter said "grid failure," and he locked off the system.  He never gave
the customer the chance to start up the system.  Incompetent.
    - Owner installers are not bound to a five year warranty contract.
    - Owner installers do not carry insurance.
    - The state should encourage quality installations.
    - The Emerging Account is limited, and CEC staff has become aware of the
many "loop-holes" in the system.

Bill, I appreciate the input that you have given to the CEC.  When I left
the November 1st CEC meeting, I felt that the solar industry and solar
contractors were well represented by your comments.

Nick
Alternative Power Systems
www.alternativepowersystems.com
aps at sbcglobal.net