Permits[RE-wrenches] -- CA Flavor

Mo Rousso mrousso at heliopower.com
Fri Dec 27 10:03:35 PST 2002

The more you look at this, the more complicated it becomes (or is made).

The CEC's reasons for offering lower rates to self-installs is to derail
funding for those systems that are bought in a kit and installed by
unlicensed contractors.  What this percentage is, I do not know.  The CEC
has told me in conversation that there are reports of e-tailers who sell
kits and then hook-up the customer with someone (unlicensed) they know who
does installations in the area at very low costs.  So, not only is there the
potential for the CEC to be funding sub-par systems, but they are also
funding illegal activities.  The CEC and the CSLB both work for the citizens
of State of California.

I agree that there are some very good owner-installed systems out there.  I
have inspected several.  It would be a shame to punish those folks while
trying to clean-up the rest of these activities.

We already have a decent system of enforcement.  Perhaps a forfeiture of
rebate monies and additional civil penalties should be included in the
program guidelines.  This policy could be clearly stated on the reservation
request form.  I believe most people are honest and and something like this
would dissuade the majority of potential offenders.  However a prevention
strategy would better serve the public. It would be best to pre-qualify the
site, install, and installer prior to issuing a reservation.  But how do you
do that short of building a bigger bureaucracy with higher overhead and
longer times to respond?

My 2 cents (in 2002 dollars).

Happy and Prosperous New Year to All!

Mo