NABCEP [RE-wrenches]

Mo Rousso mrousso at heliopower.com
Wed Dec 25 12:15:23 PST 2002

I agree that the installation of grid-tie systems is very straightforward.
The real "art", IMHO, (installation aesthetics aside) is in the design.  Any
competent licensed contractor should be able to follow design
docs/installation instructions and ensure a code compliant installation.
This is a cornerstone to the IBEW argument.  However, without the proper
training and experience of the designer, many installations are doomed to
failure before ever being installed.  That's why any level of certification
needs to include theory, deign, and installation issues, as well as a
hands-on component.

If you think about it, many of us are called upon to provide the entire
project life-cycle:  conceptualization, design, sales, permitting,
installation, inspection, start-up, service, and project management.  A much
more complicated process than just installing a pre-assembled kit!

As I've stated before, I welcome any kind of well-thought out and executed
VOLUNTARY certification process.  It will help separate the wheat from the
chaff and I will use it as a marketing differentiator.  It will just confirm
what we're already all about -- quality, high-value design and installation.

Happy New Year!
Mo
--
Mo Rousso