NABCEP [RE-wrenches]

sunwise sunwise at cheqnet.net
Wed Dec 25 17:21:05 PST 2002

Original Message - Jeff wrote -
As this industry shakes out, the small systems will be installed by
"factory
trained" installers selling their one specific "brand" of pre-designed
packaged grid tied system.  Large systems will be installed by licensed
electricians following a full set of engineering drawings like all other
building systems, and somewhere in-between, will be the "wrenches"
taking
care of the solar/generator/battery/hydro/fuel cell off grid hybrid
systems.

Greetings all,

I agree totally with Jeff's statement.  My solar business keeps changing
as both the rules and the demands change.  My biz is primarily off-grid
and I don't see that market being as affected by things like NABECP as
the grid-tied market or those receiving government incentives.  Those
folks who truly need a system designed to their specific energy profile,
both actual and ethical, will not be looking for either the packaged
system nor the larger "fully engineered" system.  They hear about the
systems I design that are engineered around their very individual needs
and I get the call.

Here in Wisconsin, State incentives are offered to both on and off-grid
customers.  The MREA is working on a State level PV installers
certification program and many of the systems that receive incentives
(solar thermal, wind and to some extent PV) get inspected prior to
receiving their cash.

There is also a program where-in persons interested in the Focus on
Energy program can sign up for a renewable energy site assessment.  It
costs the homeowner $50 and the State pays the assessor $150 plus 36.5
cents per mile of travel.  Some of the incentives they are eligible for
are based on this site assessment and the estimated annual outputs based
on these RE systems.  The State does not want to fund solar systems in
the shade or facing the wrong direction, nor wind systems with their
rotors getting tangled in the trees.  www.wifocusonenergy.com

This program is not funded by State taxes, but rather the utilities.
All of the major utilities governed by the PSC are in the program and
some of the co-ops and such have bought into the program as well.  If
you visit the web page, the eligibility tool is designed so that if a
person gets their electricity from a non-participating utility, but gets
their natural gas from a utility that does participate, the home owner
can not receive incentives for PV and wind (electricity), but can on
SDHW (thermal/gas).  If their electricity is provided by a utility that
participates, they are in for any of the technologies that receive
incentives (SDHW, Wind, PV).

They can take advantage of either a "cash back reward" incentive paying
up to 50% of the system cost (based on estimated annual output), or a
low interest loan of 1.99% and no down payment (not both).  There is so
much talk about California on this list and I just wanted to mention it
is not the only game in play.  Any others from WI want to chime in?
Other States?  Thoughts about Feds?

Kurt Nelson
SOLutions

- - - -