Bonehead HV Installation (Formerly NABCEP and the Karma Chameleon) [RE-wr

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Mon Dec 23 12:52:28 PST 2002

Wrenches:

HV = higher electrocution hazard.
LV = higher fire hazard

LV is worse for fire because the currents are higher so undersized wires
and /or loose connection over heat and burn.

Arc strike distance is proportional to the voltage so HV is worse but...
Once an arc is struck the plasma becomes conductive and it takes much
less voltage to sustain the arc.
Arc energy is proportional to the current squared (this is why breakers
and fuses are rated I^2*t) so here LV is worse.

Bottom line is that at these power levels both types of systems require
proper system design to avoid problems.  Bad installs are bad installs
no matter how you cut it.

If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.