BP Solar Closes Thin Film Operations [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty pvpro at attbi.com
Sat Dec 7 21:14:50 PST 2002

Joel Davidson asked:

> Has anyone looked at their
> Solarex (cum Amoco, cum BP) Millennium installations lately to see if they
are
> to spec?

Joel / Wrenches:

As a matter of fact I have.  It is encouraging to note that the "star of the
show" in terms of Performance Index (Capacity Factor) are the Millennia
systems with high-voltage inverters.  I will share the info with anyone
writing me off-list.  (Excel spreadsheet)  In fact, thin-film in high-volt
configurations are the leaders by far in annual kWH / KWAC installed.

I also had the unfortunate opportunity to go back to a site that I installed
August 2000; Millennia modules with an ST-2500 and retrofit it to a
Sunny-Boy 2500 this week.  I say "unfortunate" in that the performance of
the inverter has really degraded  this customer's confidence in PV.
(Xantrex, are you listening????)  My Array Cert came up with 11% over spec
on the array.

I retrofitted two other Millennia systems in June, for the same reason, with
comparable results.  Both customers are smiling now that the red things are
hanging on their walls.

The Cal-Solar / EPV / Duna-Solar / Terra-Solar / Cronar /
Whatever-Other-Name-It-Goes-By glass referred to has its problems.  The
largest of which, I personally believe, is Zoltan Kiss.  Performance wise,
when it works and isn't contaminated, the glass works very well.  It is a
major pain in the arse to install on a roof, or anyplace else for that
matter, but, when it works, it works.  Be careful not to accept any of
Zoltan's Rejects.....Especially not at a premium price!

-Matt Lafferty
pvpro at attbi.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com