Small Wind Turbines Towers [RE-wrenches]

David Blecker blecker at seventhgenergy.org
Thu Dec 5 13:33:47 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Mo,

Call me paranoid, but if he does go ahead with this system and has you
install the XL1 on a telecomm tower, you may want to have him sign a
release that holds you harmless if "bad things" happen.  Granted, the XL 1
is small and only produces about 200 pounds of lateral thrust but antennae
are static tower loading devices -- not dynamic loads like turbines.

On a philosophical note...at what point do we tell customers, "nope....I
ain't gonna install that!"  ???

David

At 02:06 PM 12/5/2002, you wrote:
>David, I appreciate your feedback.  I've actually been trying to discourage
>him from putting in a wind turbine at all.  He lives in a very wind poor
>area.  However, he has always wanted a Bergey unit and has the money to play
>with one.  I have been very upfront with all of the negatives but he still
>wants to move forward.
>
>We are planning to use the wind turbine only to supplement the PV system
>that will power his home and he has been made aware, many times, that the
>kwh he will harvest from the XL.1 will be pretty miniscule in comparison to
>the PV.
>
>Local zoning issues definitely limit us on pole height.  On a positive note,
>he does live on top of a pass and the XL.1 will be at the ridge line.
>
>In talking to Steve Wilke at Bergey, he does not recommend any of their
>existing monopole towers and suggested I look at telecomm pole providers,
>etc.  The Rohn unit he thought might work starts at $7K.
>
>A couple of wrenches have sent me some promosing options which I'm off to
>explore!
>
>Thanks to everyone who has responded.
>Mo
>--