Small Wind Turbines Towers [RE-wrenches]

Mo Rousso mrousso at heliopower.com
Thu Dec 5 12:06:27 PST 2002

David, I appreciate your feedback.  I've actually been trying to discourage
him from putting in a wind turbine at all.  He lives in a very wind poor
area.  However, he has always wanted a Bergey unit and has the money to play
with one.  I have been very upfront with all of the negatives but he still
wants to move forward.

We are planning to use the wind turbine only to supplement the PV system
that will power his home and he has been made aware, many times, that the
kwh he will harvest from the XL.1 will be pretty miniscule in comparison to
the PV.

Local zoning issues definitely limit us on pole height.  On a positive note,
he does live on top of a pass and the XL.1 will be at the ridge line.

In talking to Steve Wilke at Bergey, he does not recommend any of their
existing monopole towers and suggested I look at telecomm pole providers,
etc.  The Rohn unit he thought might work starts at $7K.

A couple of wrenches have sent me some promosing options which I'm off to
explore!

Thanks to everyone who has responded.
Mo
--