efficient 20 cu' Refrigerator/Freezer [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 2 16:09:10 PST 2002

I encourage people to get a copy of the "Consumer Guide to Home Energy Savings"
from the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, 1001 Connecticut Ave.
NW, Suite 801, Washington, DC 20036 Tel: 202-429-0063 <http://aceee.org> Highly
recommended.

Refrigerators are getting more efficient. I bought a 25 cu ft Amana side-by-side
refrigerator/freezer in 1989 for $1200 that consumes 1199 kWh/year (model
SX25J). In 1998, a similar unit (model SRD25) cost about the same but used 765
kWh/year. I don't recommend the new unit as it has a through-the-door ice maker.
The "Guide" lists a more efficient 25 cu ft refrigerator like the Whirlpool ED25
at 641 kWh/year.

Sunfrost did a good job optimizing the Danfoss BD2.5 compressor, but it was a
$30 million utility-sponsored award for the most environmentally safe
refrigerator that really changed the old ice box. Whirlpool won the prize in
1993. A couple of frige factoids. The average energy consumption for
refrigerators dropped from 1800 kWh/year in 1972 to 856 kWh/year in 1991. The
bad news is Americans consume a lot of refrigerators. Californians buy more than
1.2 million new refrigerators every year.
Joel Davidson
"The icecaps are melting to wash away our sins." Tiny Tim.

Allan Sindelar wrote:

> [...]

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm