efficient 20 cu' Refrigerator/Freezer [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Dec 2 15:34:18 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light" <ipl at sover.net>
> What were the numbers on the efficient Maytag that people were talking
about
> a year or so ago?

The MTB1956DE was 18.5 ft, rated at 485 kwh/yr, or 1.33 kwh/day. We used one
for 2 1/2 years in our offgrid home. It worked very well. We measured
1.4-1.8 kwh/day, depending on season, but with three young children, that
seemed about right. It was our biggest house load at about 40% (WAG) of
typical daily production from our optimized 1 kW array.

Five months ago we put in a 5-year old RF-16 SunFrost that came in second
hand. It's 24V DC, so I can't monitor its usage as easily. It's noticeably
more efficient, but not by THAT much. And every month or two the Sun Frost
needs defrosting, even here in the high desert. The SF is a little quieter,
but the Maytag is hard to clean the dust out of the fan and coils.

At $700 retail plus more PV, vs. $3,000 retail (with freight and all) the
balance tips toward the conventional unit for many. We now steer many
offgrid clients toward the best conventional units. I'd probably go back to
the Maytag.

Allan @PosEn

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com