NABCEP & Training [RE-wrenches]

Nick Nicholas APS at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Tue Nov 26 11:55:30 PST 2002

Hello Jeff:
"A certified installer should know how to connect the wires, but not
necessarily what size the wires should be. That's the difference between
design/engineering and installation. Never ask a licensed electrician to
design, it's beyond the training and skill level of most. Similarly, it's
pretty unusual to find an engineer who can competently install."

    I disagree with the comment, "Never ask a licensed electrician to
design."  I believe that a licensed electrician with a thorough
understanding of system components will more competently design a complete
system than a PE who is operating from his desk.  However, I agree that
experienced engineers with field experience should be the most competent at
providing complete system design.  Solar system design requires
understanding of the components and understanding of the installation
techniques.
     An engineer is almost always more proficient at voltage drop
calculations, but do they know the cost difference 250MCM XHHN and 2/0 THHN.
    Our solar business branched off of Ananda Electric, as did APT (Ananda
Power Technologies.)  At this time, APS has a store front in Grass Valley,
CA, but we are still an electrical contracting company, and many of our
residential customers are electrical engineers.  These engineers rely on me
for system design and installation.  While the engineers are extremely
capable of discussing wire sizing, they do not make recommendations on
conduit sizing.  Conduit sizing and placement of pull boxes should  be left
to the people who do the wire pulls, because we understand what our needs
are.
    With comprehensive training and with the right tools, an electrical
contractor can provide clean, efficient solar installations.
Nick Nicholas
Alternative Power Systems
www.alternativepowersystems.com
aps at sbcglobal.net