PS2512 woes [RE-wrenches]

Ezra Auerbach, Xantrex ezra at lasqueti.net
Sun Nov 24 08:00:02 PST 2002

Hello all,

I guess I should chime in as I'm the gent stuck with deciding not to bring
back the SW2512. Xantrex does not feel we can suggest or support the use of
12Vdc as an appropriate working voltage for the kind of power that folks
want to (and do) pump through our 2.5 kW inverter / chargers - they are,
after all, pretty modestly rated vs. what the actually do.

We know there are many people out there who like to work with 12 volt
inverters and we also know folks don't like the PS Series for reasons we
definitely have come to understand. It was brought out because we wanted to
create an introductory product path for folks who were not able to afford a
fully featured SW and we still do. To address the desire in the marketplace
for a reliable, cost effective 12 volt inverter we introduced the Prosine
2.0 to the renewable energy marketplace earlier this year. Although I will
admit it is not my favorite AC wiring compartment it is "plasuable" and
Xantrex offers a powder coated DC conduit box to facilite NEC compliant
installation. (808-2000 Prosine 2.0 Conduit Box. MSRP $89.00)

I strongly recommend the Prosine 2.0 as an elegant solution to the issue of
12 Vdc sine wave inverter / chargers. Last summer I hay-wired up a 12 Vdc
system at our place so I could try this inverter on my home loads and
"trunk - trash" generator (worn out, bottom of the line Honda 3500). It
performed flawlessley both as an inverter and a charger, frankly was better
at charging than similar SW2512's (I tried it at a friends place who has one
and compared charge performance and load operation, the Prosine did both as
well or better.) There's more comprehensive coverage of the field testing at
www.traceoffgrid.com.

Please feel free to contact me if you want more on my experiences with the
Prosine 2.0.

Regards,

Ezra Auerbach
Product Mangaer Residential Renewable Energy
Xantrex Technology
ezra.auerbach at xantrex.com
604 422 2743