NABCEP Update [RE-wrenches]

Tom Lane, Energy Conservation Services tom at ecs-solar.com
Sat Nov 23 14:44:37 PST 2002

I appreciate what your doing  gator tom
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ezra Auerbach, Xantrex" <ezra at lasqueti.net>
To: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2002 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: NABCEP Update [RE-wrenches]

Hello Wrenches,

I'm the newly elected Chairperson of NABCEP and my "stakeholder" group is
Balance of Systems Manufacturers, I work for Xantrex.  Most of you know I
also live very off grid with PV and wind and have worked as a Wrench for
many years (including fixing poor and dangerous installations done by others
who charged for their work).  I've been a strong supporter of identifying
professionals through clear, repeatable (testable) standards.  In my
personal view it will make for more PV in our world as professional
installations do indeed deliver on the technology's promise of "working
trouble free for years."  From my professional view good installations mean
lower warranty and nusiance calls and thus lower costs (this is good as it
leadsto lower product costs too).

A couple of questions have been raised in recent discussion which I'd like
to chime in on.

    Who is going to represent owner/installers?
Actually we would very much like suggestions for someone who might be a good
voice for this group of stakeholders, we'd also like to figure out how to
get representation of renewable energy consumers.  It is my view that the
wider the representation of all those affected or influenced by this
certification the more effective and responsive to the "real world" it will
be.Maximum value is delivered when the certificants, the consumer, and
government agencies all value and respect the certificate.  To do so all
players must be represented in the decision making process.

So, does anyone out there have suggestions?

    Is this a union scam to push out Wrenches?
The electrical trades unions, contractors and training programs are all
vitally interested in the development of a skilled work force who capable of
installing PV systems.  This does not mean that they are trying to push out
experienced Wrenches.  During the time I've been involved I have been quite
impressed by how hard the union voices have worked to be inclusive.  The
"union types" all welcomed our suggestion that we have Wrenches on the board
so their voice could be directly heard. (I didn't think my used-to-do-it
status quite cut it.).  I am very pleased to have both Don and Bob-O
actively involved especially recognizing that it takes real time to put in
as much effort and dialoge at they do.  Wrenches are well represented!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Ezra Auerbach

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com