variable speed AC well pumps [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Thu Nov 21 19:05:03 PST 2002

Wrenches,

  We're talking about the Grundfos SQ-series of subpumps here aren't we?
Or are there other brands of variable-speed subpumps on the market now?
Don't I remember a thread a few months back about the
SQ-series...several Wrenches endorsed them heartily...they work fine
with modestly-sized sine or mod-sine inverters. Don't tell me I dreamed
it all.

-Doug Pratt

David Henry wrote:
> Matt,
>
> The variable speed pumps use a 1.5 or 2 hp motor and a variable
> frequency drive.
> At full pump output that's the HP your inverter has to run. Also an
> engineer at Franklin said they have a nasty ~7000 + watt surge when
> your first turn them on that charges some capacitors in the
> controller. After initial start up they have a soft start. I decided
> not risk it. Also they have poor efficiency at low volumes.
>
> David
>
> David Henry
> Harmony Farm Supply
> 3244 Hwy 116 N.