List Moderation -- NABCEP vs.Political Philosophies [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Wed Nov 20 10:10:44 PST 2002

It appears that I need to clarify just a bit what I have been considering on and off topic for the list.

I have been considering the certification program to be on topic. While politics are certainly involved here, this is a real project that is at least somewhat controllable by Wrenches; and it has the potential to negatively impact all of you unless you have your say. While not strictly nuts and volts, it is germane. If you disagree with my position on this, please let me know. So far I have received no complaints about the topic being discussed.

I suppose we could even start a new RE-Certification list if it turns out that enough of you do not want to see the discussion here, or move it to RE-Markets. But I strongly suspect there are few objections to having it here.

I have been considering us vs. them (you decide who is an us and who is a them) discussions to be off topic because they boil down to personal philosophy, and we aren't going to change anyone whose mind is made up enough to strongly present the arguments. No good can come of this, relative to the purposes of this list. There is nothing we can do about the question of liberal vs. conservative. Sure, the philosophy in power in the U.S. does end up having an impact on Wrenches, but the underlying philosophical questions are not something we can do anything about. They end up ticking folks off and the winner of the argument is the one that perseveres, not the one that is right. I get complaints about these topics when they hit the list.

Yes, I did encourage Graham to use the RE-Markets list for off-topic political philosophy discussions. But almost as soon as I did that, I regretted it because it is not a list that I moderate, and now I think that it would decrease the value of that list just as it would this one. (Now you all realize that even I am capable of errors.) But it is a perfect topic for RE-Bitching, because THERE ARE NO RULES. You can even say the "k word" on that list.

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection wrote at 08:06 AM 11/20/2002 -0800:

>True enough, but this issue directly and personally effects everyone in our group regardless of your political views or affiliation. I think we'll muddle on until Michael throws us out.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Humankind will not be free until the last Kremlin commissar is strangled with the entrails of the last Pentagon chief of staff."
			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com
     Home Power magazine
     www.homepower.com