NABCEP Update [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Wed Nov 20 07:49:19 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Allan,
True enough, a few could-and likely will- slip in. I don't see how to
prevent it without becoming overly restrictive and keeping others
out. NABCEP has a Appeals and Grievance Committee. At the moment, I
chair it. It will initially deal with rejected applicants who don't
feel they got a fair shake. As time goes on, it will deal with Wrench
vs Wrench and Wrench vs Consumer problems as well. We're still
considering the make-up of that committee and I would appreciate any
thoughts. At this point, I'm thinking mostly other certified Wrenches
and a Consumer or two. As to the possibility of abuse, we are also
concerned with that for the Application Committee. That is even more
of a challenge. One possibility mentioned would be that committee
members in the same area or state of the applicant/appellant would be
barred from voting on the matter. In the case of an original
application to the Application Committee, for example, the initial
reviewer would likely be on the opposite coast or some such. All
thoughts are welcome.
Bob-O

>Bob-O
>Very well written; I'm glad you agreed to do this.
>
>One concern that is not being addressed is that of the experienced but
>sloppy installer who can easily qualify to sit for the exam, who can take
>tests well (which is a separate talent from knowing the test subject) and
>who will get certified, but who continues to do poor and sometimes unsafe
>work. This may not be a common occurrence, but I expect to see it.
>
>Certainly the harder the test, the fewer of these types will get the
>certification. But the certification structure, and especially the simple
>process for maintaining certification, are open to this kind of occasional
>bad apple. I would like to see a "peer review board" structure, or a formal
>process by which other installers could file documentable complaints about a
>particular installer's work. Any ideas on how to set up a manageable
>structure for this, that isn't prone to abuse or personal vendetta?
>
>Allan @ Pos Energy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm