Fwd: Proposed NEC Changes for 2005 [RE-wrenches]

Steve Willey, Backwoods Solar steve at backwoodssolar.com
Tue Nov 5 18:10:54 PST 2002

Ah, too late I thought of another code issue that has been discussed here,
but to my knowledge never resolved. Its the smoke detector AC power
requirement.  I know darn well that all sorts of systems installed by
reputable wrenches have AC powered smoke detectors, which are required in
the code, but also are often a prohibitive phantom load on all but the
largest systems in really sunny climates. The owners often substitute
battery powered units later to bring the design up to good technical spec.
Is there a legal solution, or can one be made?  I notice there are 9 year
guaranteed lithium battery detectors available all over, including Mall Wart
stores. Are these acceptable? OR what are folks doing with this issue?
Steve Willey       steve at backwoodssolar.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm