Fwd: Proposed NEC Changes for 2005 [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Mon Nov 4 15:50:15 PST 2002

Michael Welch, Home Power wrote at 11:09 AM 10/29/2002 -0800:

There is a new NEC proposed changes document from Ward Bower that I uploaded to the public directory of Home Power's web site. It is described below.

It is called NEC_2005_10-31.doc
& can be found at:
ftp://homepower.com in the directory called pub

If you have troubles getting that, then email me off-list.

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>Thanks again to all who participated in the Industry Forum to propose
>changes to the 2005 NEC in Article 690 and other pertinent articles.
>Attached is the final set of proposals sent to the National Fire Protection
>Association on October 29, 2002 on behalf of the "Industry Forum".  These
>proposals will in turn find their way to the appropriate Code-making-panels.
>The panels will review all proposals January 13-25, 2003 and then on to the
>Correlating committee for another review April 28-May 2, 2003.  A  Report on
>Proposals will then be published in July with the report going to the
>mailing house July 11, 2003.  There will then be a public comment period
>that extends to October 31, 2003.  For a complete schedule of further
>meeting dates and deadlines, look in the back of your NEC book.  Also keep
>an eye on the NFPA web site at www.nfpa.org .
>
>25 proposals were submitted.  Some of the more significant proposals
>included:
>1.  Allowing manufacturers data to be used in lieu of Table 690.7 for the
>temperature coefficient effecting open circuit system voltage.
>2.  New proposed requirements for point of entry disconnect (DC) that
>requires protective metal raceways to the point of disconnect for buildings
>where the point of entry is physically impossible to be readily accessible.
>3.  New proposed requirements for utility interactive inverters mounted in
>not readily accessible locations (e.g., string inverters mounted on the
>roof)
>4.  A proposal to allow ungrounded PV systems (complete with the
>requirements for disconnects, overcurrent protection, ground-fault
>detection/protection/indication, labels. warnings and marking, and automatic
>disconnection of faulted sections of the array.
>5.  Proposed language to cover systems when the single point of grounding
>occurs within an inverter.
>6.  Requirements for maintaining continuity of grounded and grounding
>conductors in the system when inverters or modules are removed for repairs
>etc.
>7.  A proposal to allow a utility-interactive inverter source panel to have
>the bus rated the same as the inverter output
>
>Some of the proposals providing clarification included new and revised
>definitions, improving language consistency, removal of an exception
>allowing non-load-break rated disconnects on the dc side, the addition of a
>fpn for recommended temperature ratings for conductors connected to PV
>modules, renaming of some sections for clarification, modifications
>clarifying when clamped circuit breakers should be used, correcting the use
>of words like "load center", and ratings on loads for diversion charge
>controllers.
>
>Please review all the proposals and get back with me and John Wiles before
>the code-making-panels meet.  Your input is valuable.

> [...]

Michael Welch

------------------------
"There never was a good war or a bad revolution."
			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com
     Home Power magazine
     www.homepower.com