PV Inverters module strings [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Mon Nov 4 09:30:53 PST 2002

Lee,

You cannot assume the same temperature difference occurs all the time at low
temperatures. To be sure, the steady-state temperature differences should be
nearly identical. The problem is a very cold morning with cloud cover that
instantly goes away as when a high pressure system moves in. This is when we
measure the highest open circuit voltages. It usually only happens
occasionally, but damage due to overvoltage may only take a few seconds.
Better to be sure that the voltages are such that 600 Volts can never happen
under any circumstance.

Bill.