Module Grounding [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Wed Oct 30 07:28:43 PST 2002

Jeff,

The most likely reason for corroded connectors is dissimilar metals in
contact with each other, coupled with high ambient moisture levels and,
possibly, low levels of electrical current. If the installer erroneously
grounded the array to the AC ground buss, guess where that current can come
from. There is "lots of corrosion" around those connections precisely
because the anodization has been removed from the aluminum in the hole that
the bolt is attached to, providing a great short term contact, and long term
failure point. The anodization is there for a reason. Every place you remove
it (like with a star washer) is a place where degradation will occur.

Matt