Module Grounding [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 30 06:53:05 PST 2002

I am also always thinking it does not make sense to add the extra ground
wire system, when I visit another already installed array.  It seems every
system I inspect that is over three years old had "rusted" connectors where
the ground wire is installed.  I know the bolts should be stainless steel,
yet there is always lots of corrosion around these ground points.  I think
many wire connectors, wire crimps, and washers being used are cadmium or
copper plated steel which quickly beaks down.

Has there ever been any real studies that have shown a anodized aluminum
module frame bolted to an aluminum mounting rack with a stainless steel bolt
provides no electrical path even if there is no "cutting" washer?   Its hard
for me to believe that connection is any worse than the many corroded ground
wire connections I have observed.

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com