NABCEP Call for comments [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater, Ecovillage Design clrwater at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 24 23:33:09 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Mo and Todd,

Thanks, both your postings give a better light to the present
Electrician's licensing process in CA.  (It's still going to be a
stretch for me to get documentation for the string of customers over
a few states and foreign countries over the years.  But  your
experience points to perhaps an easier process than I had
anticipated.)

That said, I still think we need to pursue a certification process
that ensures reliance on testable experience and knowledge rather
than past pay stubs at electrical contractors.  Just like CEC would
do better to go to performance based rating systems for PV system
size - so should any certification process be testable "performance
based".

nuff said on this string for now!  I've enjoyed all the good
discussion.  Now who gets to really do the certification?

Jeff C.

>mrousso at urbanrefuge.com wrote:
>
>>  Jeff,
>>
>>  I'm a mechanical engineer that used to design power
>>  plants and consulted to utilities.  I put that
>>  business aside and worked in the trades until I
>>  qualified to sit for the license exam.  So I received
>>  my C-46 Solar License.  California gives 4 out of 5
>>  years license experience credit for having an
>>  engineering degree.  So, it can be done.
>
>Yes and they also allow self employment work as well as owner builder work.
>That work qualifying requirement is just a "filter" to eliminate too many
>that would gag on the test. I still thought it was pretty tough and noticed
>many that failed it.
>
>Todd
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design Associates - Whole Systems Design
Community and Village Scale Renewable Energy & Water Systems

Cell: 720-480-8455
Office:  800-440-2523 (PIN-7071)
Fax:  720-528-7813
jeffc at ic.org

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com