SW compatibility [RE-wrenches]

Nick Nicholas APS at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Thu Oct 24 21:54:11 PDT 2002

Hello William
    I spent quite a bit of time last week trouble shooting a stack of
SW4024s that I installed in an off grid cabin.  The first SW was a 4.1 ( not
GTI enabled), and the second, installed later, was a 4.2 (GTI enabled.)  The
4.2 was responsible for starting the Kohler 10RY Generator.  Recently, every
morning that the generator was started for automatic battery charging, the
inverters would turn off after approximately two hours, the SWs would freeze
up, and the generator would also turn off.  When I first approached Xantrex
about the issue, 4 weeks ago, I was told that the inverters where not
compatible.  After the problem continued, I re-approached Xantrex and was
told that the inverters are compatible.  Ken Ripley (x703), at Xantrex,
assured me that the SWs were compatible.
    First, we went to the site and upgraded the software.  Then, after the
problems continued, Ante asked us to go to the site (1 hr away) and flip the
generator's Hot leg output wires between the two SWs and also that we join
the SWs battery terminals with 4/0 batt. cable.   We did it, and then we
forced the generator to start automatically by raising the LBCO.  This
resulted in another power outage as the generator turned off, 15 minutes
later.  When the power turned off, the inverters froze up.
    When the customer tapped on the 4.2 inverter housing, the inverters
un-froze, and he was able to restart them.
    After this, Xantrex authorized the replacement of the 4.2 SW inverter.
    We will be replacing the inverter next Wednesday, and will find out if
all the bugs have been worked out.

Alternative Power Systems
www.alternativepowersystems.com
aps at sbcglobal.net