NABCEP Call for comments [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Oct 24 19:04:51 PDT 2002

Jeff,

O.K. I employ a number of electrical contractors, as required, but am in a
partnership situation with a holder of a B1! Not an electrical contractor,
as I am not, but a very good craftsman and a dedicated reader of the NEC, as
am I. I also work with 2 engineers, electrical and mechanical. We also take
advantage of the manufacturers experience as regards proper sizing and other
engineering issues, as do most of us. My largest personal design project was
a 5 megawatt windfarm back in the 80's, I employed a power distribution
engineer for some of it and left the main and sub-transformers to the
transformer companies involved. I also acted as a wind energy consultant to
several corporations, the California Energy Commission and the Air Force for
a project (which never got funded) at Shemya Island in the Aleutians. We
designed and installed major wind farms with a B 1 license! Scared yet?

I helped install a 60 kW turbine in Santa Ynez once, where the head Santa
Barbara County electrical inspector stuck his trusty screwdriver into our
(very expensive) 480 v controller. He managed to vaporize his handy little
tool and blow himself a few feet back. This was the Head Cheese for the
County!! Another reason to train inspectors.

Even though I've worked in this biz for over 20 years, I couldn't go get an
electrical license because I haven't worked for an electrician for five
years. Go get one? Why? The solar industry needs an entirely separate ticket
for it's installers, not an endorsement on an electrical contractors
license. It is a unique field and deserves a unique form of recognition, not
a coat-tails position.

Matt