copper leaching in solar thermal system [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Sun Oct 20 11:06:17 PDT 2002

Tom,

What you say is true, but. As a peripheral service to solar and wind stuff,
I do water treatment systems (ozonators, green sand filter, chemical
injection systems, softeners, etc.) in this part of the country. We seldom
see ph levels below 6.7, but often will encounter copper corrosion when
copper and other metals are connected in the same plumbing system. More
often than not, water softeners will be the culprit! Since softeners are
exchanging ions of salts for ions of calcium carbonate, it's often the
salinity and increased electrical conductivity that wastes the copper, not
the ph level. I have pulled sections of copper pipe out of houses which were
bleeding water through the pipe wall in areas of 7.2 ph levels. Also, many
homes will have a ground wire attached to the cold water inlet or some other
buried steel part of the water system. I believe that there might be some
connection between low levels of electrical current and damage to the copper
part of the system.

I persist in my observation that dielectric unions can (not guaranteed)
prevent many corrosion problems
inherent in plumbing systems with mixed steel and copper pipes in spite of
your experience in your lower ph part of the country. It could be that both
acidity and salinity can result in the same problem?

Matt