Unisolar laminates, roofing responsibility [RE-wrenches]

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind cvsolar at aol.com
Wed Oct 16 06:24:35 PDT 2002

Tom,
   The roofing issue is still in the roofers court as he has assumed
responsibility for the special ridge cap required to cover the junction
boxes.  Fortunately he is real excited about this technology and wants to
help encourage it.  This particular house is being built by a retired college
professor who has been preaching energy efficient home designs since the
'60's and designed this house for his retirement with every conceivable
energy efficiency built in.  It is of foam and steel design with R50 roof and
R40 walls, radiant floor heating and Russian fireplace and 100% solar and
wind electric power-off-grid.  (The last well designed home I worked on with
a hybrid solar and wind is reaching 98% renewable power with 2% propane
generator.  We are hoping to hit 100% with that system by enlarging the
battery bank a little.)   Actually being forced to put the Unisolar on the
roof after the fact has opened the possibility of adding much more pv to his
spacious south facing roofs if we find it necessary to attain the 100%
renewable electricity.

John
CVSolar

- - - -