DC metering [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Tue Oct 15 19:43:57 PDT 2002

sunwise wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I have a school teacher requesting good metering for a battery
> testing project.  They have built a couple small electric cars
> that they take down to regional races in Iowa.  One of the projects
> for this year is to test different batteries including pre-warming
> the batts and doing acid boosts (apparently legal in these races).
>
> He was asking about computer interfacing an AH meter, more
> specifically the E-meter Choice with RS232 port.  I also mentioned
> the old OmniMeter (Powermaster?) and then was wondering if Brand
> was in the mix?  Doesn't Ethan do some custom stuff (anyone know
> his email)?

The E-Meter is THE choice for EVs, but that's largely because it's
capable of monitoring the 96 to 320 volt packs most EVs are pushing now.
It also does a pretty credible job of monitoring most anything that
needs attention. The current generations are very adaptable. I've been
running one in my daily-driver EV for more than 5 years. With the RS232
port you can swim in data. For your High School kids, it's a good
choice.

Doug Pratt
7 yrs & 20k miles of EVing...

- - - -