600 VDC switches [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Oct 11 14:20:32 PDT 2002

Its worth noting that proper system grounding is actually made up of
three different parts and we are discussing only one of the three here.
I worry that some people may not understand this and will get the wrong
idea from the discussion here.

In the hope of avoiding this, I am summarizing the three parts here.
Either ignore this if you understand this already or let me know if you
disagree with anything I state.

1.  Ground Rod - The easiest to understand part. Provides connection to
the "ground" or earth. This is not the issue being discussed.

2.  Equipment Grounds - Also pretty easy to understand. Connects all of
the non-current carrying metal parts of an electrical system together
and to the ground rod eventually (such as enclosures, module frames,
conduit, etc.)  This is also not the issue being discussed.

3.  Negative Conductor Ground - This is where it gets dicey.  There
should be one, and only one, point in an electrical system where the
negative (or positive if you want) is connected intentionally to the
grounding system.  The current carrying conductor which is "grounded"
should not have any switches, breaker or fuses in its circuit - if
negative grounded all of the disconnects/breakers must be in the
positive conductor only.  The DC and AC systems are considered to be
different electrical systems (even though the inverter connects them
togehter) so there will be one point for the DC and one for AC system
where the connection is made.  If a ground fault protection system is
installed, than it can be installed in the conductor which is making the
connection from negative to the grounding system.

I hope this helps and does not make more confusion...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA