spam connected to this list [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Fri Oct 11 10:50:51 PDT 2002

I think several of us get these regularly (for a long time).  My feeling is
that it's not related to this list as I have gotten them for years.  Most
likely they are finding us on a internet data base that allows someone to
send an email to all the people on the data base.  If you guessed the Energy
Source Guides then I bet you're right.

This scam has been around for years and I used to get actual snail mail
letters complete with what appeared to be actual Nigerian post marks on the
actual Nigerian stamps.  The envelopes and paper were a strange size and
made out of some really weird paper that was somewhat translucent and waxy.

I showed one of the emails to an employee who was so fascinated in it he set
up a bank account with just a few dollars in it just to see what would
happen.  He started a dialogue with them but nothing ever happened with it.
We assumed they were "fishing for whales" with much larger bank accounts.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services
----------
>From: carl reuter <solarcruzer at yahoo.com>
>To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>Subject: spam connected to this list [RE-wrenches]
>Date: Fri, Oct 11, 2002, 11:03 AM
>

>Wrenches: For the past year I have been receiving fraudulent emails from
>parties claiming to be higher-ups in some African government wanting to
>send me millions of dollars if I'll just send them my bank info. I get
>this crap almost daily and suspect they got my address from this list.
>What makes me suspect that is that rarely the BCC: above the message
>will contain hundreds of other victims addresses and many of those have
>solar related addresses. Normally I would consider this subject
>off-topic but since it is involving other solar related folks as well, I
>bring it up. Are any of you getting this same crap sent to you? Is there
>anything we can do about it? I have complained to the different hosts
>related to the perpertrators addresses and get replies from the host
>that they will do something but the criminals running this have hundreds
>of bogus emails. Sorry to bother you guys with this but perhaps many of
>us are involved. If not, good and I hope you dont end up on their list.
>Carl Reuter
>
>Land and Sea Solar
>po box 1507,Soquel,Ca. 95073

- - - -