Lightning damage to SW inverters [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 23 09:42:55 PDT 2002

We also install Delta arrestors at the array, and the controller with all
the required grounding and Never ever run a ground from array to control or
DC disconnect box.

Matt:

I agree, we are not grounding the array through the control or dis-connect.
I was referring to the single point grounding of the DC side and the single
point grounding of the AC side(per NEC) both having Delta arrestors and both
bonded to the same ground rod as required.  The array frame grounding has
its own ground rod (at the array if ground mounted) and separate Delta
arrestor in the combiner box.

Yes we have some severe lighting storms and last week I had TWO separate
trees hit about 200 feet from my house in the same week but in different
storms.  This took out one of two C-40 controllers and some phone related
equipment but did not damage the SW40.

I'm still saying that for equipment that is designed to be wired into
systems having lots of metal and single conductor wires on your roof , there
should be a very high level of internal protection and not just rely on NEC
alone.

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com