Vanner [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 21 09:52:57 PDT 2002

Dear Lawrence,

Thank you for the detailed response. In the 1980s (pre-Trace) I sold Vanner
inverters in L.A. because they had a rock-solid reputation with the public
safety market (fire, police, ambulance). Back then Vanner could not get
excited about the renewable energy market because it was too small,
dispersed, DIYers, etc. Then they got interested, picked Joe Bobier's brains
and came up with a Heart Interface clone.

It is frustrating and expensive to develop good inverters. Frustrating for
engineers because they are not given enough beta test time. Frustrating for
company managers because it takes so long (in the minds of
short-attention-span owners and investors) to bring new, different and
better products to market. Frustrating to salespeople, installers and
customers who have to deal with problems that should have been solved if the
engineers had been given the time and money to discover them.

I like the idea of capacitors to keep the inverter on during weather
changes. Some non-RE companies are developing super capacitors for energy
storage in mobile applications. Four years ago, I saw photos of Russian
trams (like 1-car Disneyland trams) that used super-caps for 15 minute round
trips carrying about 20 people. Cost about 10X more than electromotive
batteries (about the same as flywheels). The Russians' sales pitch to Disney
was "cheaper than batteries that need maintenance and replacement." I think
fuel cells will beat out super-caps in the future, but don't hold your
breath. The automobile and petroleum industries have their own plans for
their continued domination of the transportation and energy sectors.

A bit of advice - when tinkering in an SW5548 inverter with the big blue
caps, never stand in front of the caps because they can explode.

Best regards,
Joel Davidson

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm